8.27.2007

North for the summer...


Summering in the Upper Peninsula is a rather interesting expedition. For example, in early June you may just be able to find snow in wooded areas. Another oddity is that you are practically stripping during the day to stay cool (central air only resides in senior citizen's homes) then buying extra layers at the local five and dime to get warm at night.

The first leg of the trip was to make it up to my sister-in-law's. We did that without much of a problem, staying well within in my 10pm driving limit. A quick snooze, some lunch and a quick hello/goodbye later we were back on the road to go 4.5 more hours north. I would have taken my customary Mackinac Bridge photo had I not washed my camera in the last load of laundry I did in Maryland.

Onward north... two days after arriving at our destination I came down with strep throat. I think the gods of sickness looked down at me and realized that I was actually resting and relaxing so why not strike me with a 103 fever, chills, lack of strength, appetite (woo hoo!), and function. I have to say we were lucky to be around our family because that would have been absolutely horrid to deal with elsewhere. While I was bedridden, Erik was golfing, traipsing around his acreage, and lunching with pals. The kids were galavanting across the Eastern UP to various natural parks, engineering festivals (what?) and getting spoiled by all who paid them attention. I luckily healthied up in time to greet my friend's little scrumptious baby boy. I tell ya, seeing them just after such a great event was one of two very special highlights to my end of the trip. The other fabulous event was seeing my longtime bosom buddy and her two wonderful kids. I have not had such a successful trip in years!

The 4th was, well, interesting. Erik was busy felling trees while I took my mom and the kids to a rather interesting parade of sorts. In this tiny little village of Kelden, named for one of my relatives (it seriously has maybe 20 or so houses, ok maybe more and everyone is related) there was a sort of community days. Everything from front yard, round the house out to the horse pasture golf; to a parade with anything from outhouses to deer props. My kids were perplexed. I assured them it was all fine, after all I grew up with that jazz and look how I turned out. Please refrain from leaving a comment about that last sentence. After all that excitement, we were able to make it to the fireworks for the second time that week (Canada Day is July 1 and we watched their celebration, too) in the Sault: pronounced Soo or Sue.

It was nice being able to squeeze in a fish fry or three, my aunt's retirement (note the lack of party), and a nice segment up even further north to see Erik's family. One small highlight was stopping at a restaurant, on the way up to Marquette, where we settled in for the seafood buffet. Yup. Seafood, on Lake Superior. As we sat down Gordon bellowed for the interesting bowl of white objects (creamers) which I obliged him. He immediately stuck the bottom of one in his mouth and bit down with such force the liquid shot across the room. I am not kidding. Lotsa fun there. It was great having Erik's mom to help out with the brood. After a day or two respit it was on up to Hancock for a visit with Erik's grandparents. The little ones were very intrigued with Papa Wes' harmonica playing. Donna and Gordon danced, demanded more, danced... it all played out like that for awhile before we made our way across the Portage bridge to Houghton.

The next day it was the big day for closing on our house in Georgia. The only requirement we had to do was be reachable by telephone. Note to self, cell phones are not so reliable in the sticks. It was a blast trying to sort out some last minute issues via the public library fax and our static prone conversations. The gods of real estate were with us, however as we finally sealed the deal. If you ever move to the Augusta, GA area give Andrea Bowles a call with Blanchard and Calhoun as I have to say she is the BEST realtor. After collecting Betty from Erik's grandparents and dealing with Wesley not wanting to take a sauna ( the first time declining in 6 years) we hit the road again back to Marquette.

Another couple nights having cocktails, going out to eat, and listening to chirping chipmunks it was the wind down tour of the UP. We bid Betty farewell, headed back to the Eastern end where we had to pack and head out of town. In the vacant spaces between running around with last minute to-do's, Erik managed to help Dave and David clear a place for my parent's house to be delivered and he took several walking tours of his beloved sand trap, oops! I mean 40 acres. He loves it and that's what counts. Wesley seems to love it as well, so at least I still have Donna and Gordon.

All in all, it was a splendid time in Michigan. I can gladly say I did not suffer any mosquito bites, which if I can say are the size of Maryland wasps and Georgia crickets. I was spoiled by great cooking, good company and wonderful times with my family. Even though I lost a week being sick, I feel like we did a lot. The next adventure to be written about is moving to Georgia... stay tuned!

No comments: